Sunday 22 April 2012

Smoked Duck


This weekend I decided to have a go at smoking meat at home. I had previously eaten smoked meats, which was so over powering that it had always put me off.  So I thought I would have a go at smoking some myself, to ensure that I could get the smoked flavour just how I liked it.

When shopping at Riverford Farm Shop a few weeks ago, there was a wood turner there selling arts and crafts items. The wood turner was busy crafting with some wood and all of the shavings were piled high on the floor around his table. Geoff said ‘why don’t you ask them if you can take some shavings for smoking food with?’  So I asked the chap there and he was happy to let me help myself.

So, after spending some time researching smoking food, I was ready to have a go. Firstly I set up my utensils, I used a wok lined in tin foil, where I placed my wood shavings, orange blossom tea and a tablespoon of sugar.. I placed the wok on the hob to heat the shavings until they smoked. Next I placed a grill over the top of this and the placed a half duck on this, finally covering this with foil, as tightly as I could get it to provide a seal, left it all on the hob for a few minutes and then turned it off, leaving it all sealed up for 12 minutes to smoke. I was very concerned that I would over smoke it and it would taste like that duck I had previously tried.

After 12 minutes I removed the duck and put it in a baking tray and in the oven for 30 minutes, until the duck is just pink and still succulent.



I served the duck with basmati and wild rice with petis pois, a honey, soy and chilli glaze (basting the duck with this mixture throughout the cooking too). A pot of plum sauce on the side completed the dish.

The duck finished up nice and pink and moist, however it could have had a more smoky flavor, I was a bit too cautious on my first attempt. Next time I will try 18 minutes smoking instead of 12. Overall a success, but with a few tweaks to be made in search of perfection!

2 comments:

  1. i never in my life would think of smoking a duck, (p.s love the middle pic of the duck smoking nice touch) most def going to be trying this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's really simple to do Ryan and would go well with your style of cooking too.
    Have you tried to smoke any meat or fish, as you like oriental / asian style cooking, this would open out a new technique to try if you haven't already done so.

    I loved the Duck smoking too, couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete